slideshow

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Harvesting Has Begun ;-)

Harvest Shelly Beans, Lettuce Mix, Mixed Baby beets
{Edit: I have no idea how I manage to put this post here, it was supposed to have gone to The Edible Garden blog! My apologies if I have confused you! Stay tuned for more art!} This was my harvest Friday, Oct 21: Hopi Purple Pod beans in their pods weighed 2 pounds, 6 ounces. (the shelled beans weighed 8 ounces), mixed baby lettuces, 3 ounces, mixed beets and greens  were 1 pound and 12 ounces, the roots alone weighed 10 ounces.

Hopi Purple Pod beans as green shellies

Some folks have never heard the term 'shelly' beans. These are simply those sorts of beans that you usually eat as dried beans, shelled out fresh and eaten before they have dried. With frost a possibility any time the next couple of weeks I probably won't get too many pickings but it's nice to have them while I can.  Next year I'll start them much earlier and pick beans in the late summer through fall. When I have them then I also usually have tomatoes and peppers and make garden chili when ever things are ready.


On another note I have discovered another gardening blogger and just love her blog. I have probably spent most of the afternoon reading it! The Empress of Dirt, a woman after my own heart!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a very successful crop Mary. We are going to install a greenhouse next year, since the weather has become so unpredictable. Looking forward to that! Happy eating. ;-)

    ReplyDelete