slideshow

Friday, August 27, 2010

Datrua Dreams

For those of you not on FaceBook, here are a few shots of Datura Dreams as a work in progress:
After transferring the design to the canvas I laid everything in a gray scale, showing the lights and darks.





I then put in the background and began working on the leaves and flowers





I continued to gradually work my way around the picture, working from the upper part of the canvas and the background forward and down the canvas to the foreground.

I continued to go back and forth, around and around, adjusting colors and tones, darks and lights. Here you can see a closeup of the silver pitcher.



And here is the final piece.
Datura Dreams 18x24 inches, Acrylic on Linen. Datura plants are a large beautiful wild flower which bloom from July through the fall here in the desert. It is also known as Jimson weed and contains narcotic compounds, making it quite poisonous. The silver pitcher was a wedding gift to my parents and the crystal wine glass is one of a few survivors of a set that was a wedding gift to my grand parents.


Datura Dreams is not currently available. It has been entered into a competition. It will be available after the results of the competition are announced. Contact me if you are interested in this piece and I will put you on my mailing list to receive the information when it is available.

No comments:

Post a Comment